8/22/2016

Lyme Disease and Gluten Free Living - Why It's So Important! #glutenfreeforme #lymedisease #glutenfree #celiacdiease #glutenintolerant #glutensensitivity

Food as medicine

I'm sure almost everyone knows someone who is gluten free these days. Many people see it as a fad.......but for many of us it's about recovery and health. I remember the dread of my LLMD telling me that I needed to go gluten free. Initially, I figured if I just cut out most of it, that would have to help. I was gluten illiterate and didn't realize how even a tiny amount of gluten could keep the inflammation in my gut active.

After another long (friendly) lecture from my LLMD, I decided to jump into this new lifestyle.....no matter how hard......and 10 years ago it was much more difficult than it is today. I knew that in order to get my immune system ready to fight this disease, I had to get my gut healthy (they are one in the same). I remember the first month passing and thinking, "What a joke. this isn't even helping". But as time passed I started to notice small things - the brain fog and fatigue were lifting, my stomach didn't feel bloated every time I ate and the pain in my joints was more bearable. Could this really be working?

I continued on the gluten free diet throughout the rest of my treatment and for about a year after. I don't know why I decided to dive back into the unhealthy, American eating lifestyle, but I did........it had been such a long road of treatment and I just wanted everything back to "normal". I was fine for years but gluten intolerance symptoms began to creep back up recently - fatigue, bloating, brain fog, anxiety, poor immune system, etc. My initial thought was panic! Was my lyme back after 8 years? Please god no!!! I fought it once, but could I really do it again??

Once I settled myself down, my logical brain was able to kick back in. I began contemplating going gluten free again. Within a week my visits to the loo decreased, I wasn't as tired and no more bloating or stomach pains. So here I am......two weeks back into being gluten free and I get an email from a guy who's currently fighting lyme disease and multiple co-infections. He's had a hard time with treatment because the antibiotics and herbs upset his stomach. Of course, I began my preaching about the importance of gluten free living during lyme treatment. I could tell he was like me years ago......willing to reduce his gluten intake but not quite buying the importance of not even a little gluten. And so this post is dedicated to him. I haven't written a post on my blog in over a year and he inspired me to again talk about Lyme and what helped me. If my past suffering can help someone else, then it's the least I can do!

So to all you Lymies who aren't getting better........or are suffering through treatment.......give it a try! Even if it's only for 3 months......I know you'd give anything to be better and this just might help!

As always, keep paying lyme education forward! Email or comment with any questions :)

Sheryl



1 comment:

  1. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from Lymes, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband suffered Lymes and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony of so many people who was cured from Lymes , and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the herbal cure to Lymes. I never imagined Lymes has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. Lymes has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony .

    ReplyDelete